FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:30 pm
khlay

Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
The one thing I've been wondering is about paying 30K to upgrade our packages from cat 5 (25k/nt) to cat 6 (30k/nt). It seems like Marriott is too kind (and too smart) to convert a 30k/nt package into a 25k/nt package, so I suspect it would convert into a 35k/nt package (cat 5 under the new scheme). I suspect if we wait until Aug 1, we'll have to pay 60K to upgrade from what will be cat 4 to cat 5; whereas right now we could just pay 30K. I think the harder call is whether to pay 90k to move to a cat 8 (40K/nt under current scheme), hoping it maps onto cat 6 in the new chart. It seems like it would probably work, since converting it to new cat 5 would be taking 5k/nt away from us; but it feels less certain, since the new cat 5 level (35K) would be closer to 40K than the new cat 6 (50k). But of course if it worked, you would get a 90k value for 30k, and it seems likely there will be some sweet cat 6's on the new chart.
Good suggestion. I might do the cat-6. After 8/1, if it's cat to cat mapping, cat-6 has good chance to be mapped to new cat-5. That will be a big win. If it's convert to point based cert, I may still be able to get cat-5 next year during off-peak or 5 night cat-6 off peak. Not bad neither.