FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Apr 17, 2018, 11:07 pm
nexusCFX

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UsernameChuck
The one thing I've been wondering is about paying 30K to upgrade our packages from cat 5 (25k/nt) to cat 6 (30k/nt). It seems like Marriott is too kind (and too smart) to convert a 30k/nt package into a 25k/nt package, so I suspect it would convert into a 35k/nt package (cat 5 under the new scheme). I suspect if we wait until Aug 1, we'll have to pay 60K to upgrade from what will be cat 4 to cat 5; whereas right now we could just pay 30K. I think the harder call is whether to pay 90k to move to a cat 8 (40K/nt under current scheme), hoping it maps onto cat 6 in the new chart. It seems like it would probably work, since converting it to new cat 5 would be taking 5k/nt away from us; but it feels less certain, since the new cat 5 level (35K) would be closer to 40K than the new cat 6 (50k). But of course if it worked, you would get a 90k value for 30k, and it seems likely there will be some sweet cat 6's on the new chart.
Pretty sure this is just supporting evidence that the certs will be assigned an equivalent value in points instead of mapped to a category. Too much room to game it if they do the latter.