FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How to find the fare class / mapping for codeshare mileage earning before purchasing?
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:33 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seenitall
Indeed, the only crediting rules that will apply are OZ's -- and while they might credit a NH flight number, it would be unusual if they allowed you to credit a UA-codeshare number. But the final arbiter is OZ's rules, not UA's.
In Star Alliance, only the operating carrier matters. An NH flight with a UA flight number should absolutely be eligible for OZ credit; however, it will be credited according to the fare class reported by NH, which is why OP wanted to know how they'd map.

Originally Posted by mduell
I guess I mean codeshare rather than interline. Here's an example of the info I'm talking about from EF, where it's a UA fare, but you can see what it books into on NH:
So, the information that you've listed here is exactly what I used in order to give my reply. However, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Sykes is right. This information is what you use to find inventory requirements for an NH-coded segment on a UA fare component. It is not necessarily the same as the RBD that will be used internally by NH for a codeshare flight on the same UA fare.

Keep in mind that these systems predate frequent flyer programs by years. Other than estimating frequent flyer credit, I can't think of any reason that a traveler would need that bit of information (NH's internal RBD). It doesn't seem like anything that most GDS customers would have needed to know at the time that the systems were designed. and while it could certainly be backfilled into these tables, I don't think it actually has been.

OP: Due to the UA/NH joint venture, I'm confident that this mapping is going to turn out to be exactly what I said -- W to W, K to K, S to S. However, I agree with the other advice you've gotten -- pull the reservation up on NH's site, or call them, if you want absolute certainty. If you've bought the ticket through United directly, you have 24 hours from purchase to cancel for a full refund if you don't like what you're told.

Last edited by jsloan; Apr 16, 2018 at 8:46 pm Reason: multi-quote