FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lake Biwa Marriott Hotel, Shiga, Japan [Master Thread]
Old Apr 16, 2018, 8:10 pm
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by estnet
It looks like the train fare is around USD11 each way - is that right? Sounds like it might be a nice place to explore.
Depending on where in Osaka you come from (subway/JR/bus/taxi), it's around $15 to Katata station. Check Hyperdia.com for schedules and fare details. There are various regional rail passes that may make sense if you travel some distances.

Originally Posted by schriste
I would think twice about that... unless you have a car. I stayed in early March and took the shuttle, but was up and out the next morning. I would not want to spend multiple days here without a car. The only reason to stay at this hotel (without car) is if you get a massively cheap rate or just like collecting new Marriott hotels. The lounge is OK, but in all seriousness I'd be happier with food quality spending 500 yen at a 7-11/Family Mart, etc. The hotel has been renovated and is not bad, but it is not especially convenient for much of anything.
We stayed here on a beautiful spring day, and the walk along Lake Biwa was great. There isn't much to do nearby, but the mall that's a 10-15 minute walk away has some amenities, and if you rent a bike or spend time at the spa/onsen, you can easily spend a few days here without getting bored. We found the lounge rather pleasant -and the breakfast on the top floor excellent- so obviously I must not be very good at maximizing my 500yen purchases at 7-11/Family Mart/etc.