FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Apr 15, 2018, 7:28 am
jlemon
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
I'm sitting here in The Wing about to go grab a shower but hey - there's always time to have a go at the latest fine set from JL...

11. If you wanted to fly on board a Boeing 720B in 1987 from Mexico City (MEX) nonstop to Guatemala City (GUA) in 1987, what airline would you call?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 720B operators from Central America, so I'm going to go with Avianca on a flight that likely continued on to Bogota

12. It's still 1987 and you are in New York City. You need to travel on a Friday to Sydney and have found an air carrier operating a flight on this day and also on Mondays and Thursdays as well. You book a seat in first class on this flight which departs JFK at 5:30 pm and arrives in SYD at 7:00 am with one stop being made en route. Identify the airline, the stop and the aircraft.

If it didn't stop in LAX, and it wasn't a 747SP... I'm going guess it was a DC-10-30 with Continental operating via HNL
11. Great guess! However, the air carrier in question wasn't Avianca. Please guess again, sir!

12. Correct! Here's the sched.....

CO 15: New York (JFK) 5:30p - 10:55p Honolulu (HNL) 12:05a - 7:00a Sydney (SYD) 8:30a - 9:50a Melbourne (MEL)
Op: Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays only
Equip: DC-10-30
Note: CO 15 operated SYD-MEL Wednesdays and Sundays only

Continental was a bit of a rare sight at JFK at this time as the airline had just taken over People Express and was thus concentrating on Newark. There were only two other CO departures from JFK per day in March of 1987: a daily B737-300 nonstop to Mexico City and a daily DC-9-30 nonstop to Washington Dulles with this latter flight continuing on to Knoxville except on Saturdays.

Last edited by jlemon; Apr 15, 2018 at 7:34 am