FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Would you mind switching seats with me...
Old Apr 15, 2018, 5:09 am
orbitmic
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by gcuk
I try to be accommodating but not when I'm in my favourite 64K, unless of course relocating to the pointy bit at the front downstairs.
My most bizarre experience was boarding at Heathrow, probably the 10th person to board through the priority queue. I got to 64K and there was someone in my seat, shoes off, already reclining, blanket and earphones unwrapped and hand luggage neatly stowed in the side locker. I used my usual line in these situations, 'Excuse me, are you in the right seat as we seem to be double booked?' to which he replied 'Oh am I in the wrong seat? Oh yes, mine's 60B, I've unpacked everything so it's probably going to be easiest if you just took that one'. The crew quickly got involved and he was dispatched to 60B, blankets etc swapped over. The crew member said it was bizarre. She said he literally came running up the stairs and 'speed unpacked' so they wondered what was going on.
I was quite happy to swap on an AA domestic First (recliner seat) flight from a row 3 window to a row 2 aisle even though I prefer the window. As I was starting to put my bag up, a 50-something male travelling with his wife boarding immediately behind me said, 'Excuse me for asking, and please feel free to say no, but I see you're in 3F. Would you mind swapping into 2C so I can sit with my wife. He was so nice about it, the swap was a no brainer.
requests to change in us domestic f are frequent because they often come from space upgraded frequent flyers in y who assume most others in the cabin are also upgrades and randomly sat. I’ll typically use the same criteria to say yes or no in such cases as I would elsewhere but with even less guilt if the person was already lucky enough to get an upgrade whilst I pay for F/J.