FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Simple VPN Device for Connecting to Home Network
Old Apr 15, 2018, 3:03 am
tmiw
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GE, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I spoke with someone techie about this, who was willing to setup my Raspberry Pi VPN - but he said the video quality would suffer given it is being piped through the VPN between LA and Florida - so the end result would be video that is no better than the Slingbox I have sitting there now that sends the data as UDP right over the Internet without a tunnel, and that video is often pretty bad.

In order to 'trick' the Xfinity app, I apparently need to be able to spoof the IP of my Xfinity router which is what the app uses to check to see if I am home or outside - and that might be a harder techie thing to pull off on an iPad or Android tablet unless there is a way to do that given I am on wifi behind a ATT Uverse router.
Yeah, the VPN's performance in general is going to depend on your upload speed at home. For instance, I pay for 200mbps download and 20mbps upload and even if the hotel or other venue has a much faster connection, I only get 15mbps or so download according to speed tests.

As for video, I'm not sure how Slingbox is encoding video but it's possible that the Xfinity app uses better encoding that allows the same video to be transmitted with less bandwidth. It's worth a shot anyway if you already have the Pi.