FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Luxury Hotels USP by Brand
View Single Post
Old Apr 14, 2018, 5:43 pm
epiahtles

Programs: SPG, MR, WOH, HH, IHG
Originally Posted by Nicoolio
In the luxury segment, I don't think that's true - I am pretty sure Marriott manages Ritz-Carltons and St. Regis properties -- Hyatt the same with Park Hyatt and Hilton likewise with Conrad and WA.

If you are talking about the soft brands like Autograph Collection and Luxury Collection, or regular Sheratons and Hiltons, that might be true. For the Courtyard and Hyatt Place type properties, I am sure like you said they are mainly franchise.
Okay, I'll go again. I did not just come up with some arbitrary numbers. That's a real number.

Originally Posted by epiahtles
unlike the most of existing hotel chains which typically own 0.5-3.0% of their entire portfolio
You can find out how many number/ratio of hotels they're actually owned/leased on their annual report, in some cases detailed list of owned/leased properties too. FYI, in the entire US, the only StR/RC/JW owned by Starriott is StR NY. Actually, in the entire world, the only StR/RC/JW owned by Starriott is StR NY and nothing else (1 out of 226), although they leased RC Tokyo, RC Berlin, StR Osaka, JW Grosvenor House (4 out of 226).

http://files.shareholder.com/downloa...ual_Report.pdf

p.s. Okay. I just realized I misread "manage" to "own" after writing this down, due to the lack of sleep. In case of Starriott, there are 1,959 company operated properties(30.04%), 4,432 franchised/licensed properties(67.97%) and 129 JVs(1.97%). I can't be sure about luxury segment alone (for Starriott), but among the full service Starriott hotels located in NA, 38.34% of them are managed by Starriott, 0.90% of them are owned by Starriott while 60.74% of them are franchised/licensed.

In case of Hyatt, they owned only 4 PHs around the world (NY, Chicago, Paris, Zurich) and own 30-50% shares of PH Milan and Hamburg, either directly or indirectly. However, they have higher ratio of full-service properties that are in management agreement (82.7%, 274 out of 331), compare to the Starriott.

For Hilton, they only owned 5 out of 61 WAs/Conrads, but managing 51 WAs/Conrads.

Last edited by epiahtles; Apr 14, 2018 at 6:49 pm