FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA contactless credit/debit/transit (2017 - 2021)
Old Apr 13, 2018, 9:46 pm
D582

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by tmiw

Of course, there could be other options I missed, too.
So what I would have done if I were in charge of this whole migration at one of the card networks is use it as an opportunity to simplify and improve US payments infrastructure:
  • Start early with setting software quality standards and minimum requirements for payment software, the goal being to incentivise pre-built and certified semi-integrated solutions over fully integrated
  • Work with the major terminal manufacturers to standardise payment application UI and flow, and transaction throughput times so the cardholder experience is consistent. As well, developing terminal software that would allow merchants to utilise the terminal for non-payment events like line-item displays, loyalty etc. whilst still isolating the payment app and payment processing. Only when these solutions were ready for market should the transition have started.
  • Move the liability shift 2-3 years later. The US environment was simply too complex for it to happen when it did.
  • Require merchant terminals to accept both EMV contact and EMV contactless in order to benefit from the liability shift
  • Incentivise merchants with lower interchange rates on EMV contact and contactless transaction with requirements that processors directly pass on the savings to the merchant. Further incentivise contactless acceptance especially for lower value transactions with an additional interchange discount (say for the first $50-100). These may be phased out slightly over time well after the US is EMV mature.
  • Incentivise issuers to issue dual-interface cards early and set a date when all cards must be dual-interface
  • Set a date to sunset 'tip adjust' giving enough time for restaurants to decide when to update their payment process to pay at front or pay at table.
But then you know, nobody asked me