FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First trip with 6 month old.... questions
Old Apr 12, 2018, 4:38 am
BeatCal
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Benadryl is an antihistamine, not a pain reliever.

Since you posted a link to that chart, it seems rather dishonest of you to omit where it says:

**DO NOT give benadryl to a child younger than 2 years unless advised by your physician

As for your statement

Where do you get garbage like that? Here's the statement from the American Academy of Pediatrics, which represents thousands of doctors, not the single practice whose chart you partially quoted:
https://www.healthychildren.org/Engl...histamine.aspx
AGE LIMITS: Avoid diphenhydramine under 6 years of age unless instructed by healthcare provider.
To sum up:
  1. the manufacturer says it's not safe for kids under 2 years of age
  2. the American Academy of Pediatrics says not to give it to kids under 6 years of age - except under the supervision of a healthcare provider, and an ethical healthcare provider will put the safety of the child ahead of the risk of the kid crying on an aircraft
  3. even the chart you quote says not to give it to kids under 2 years of age unless directed by a physician, a detail you omitted from your post
You're playing amateur doctor and telling people to dose their infants with Benadryl (diphenhydramine), a drug to treat allergies, in an aircraft where they're long way from emergency medical care, to stop kids from crying.

Swallowing repeatedly is more effective to relieve the pressure in ears and far safer - for an infant of 6 months or less, that generally means feeding, which help prevent discomfort from dryness as well.
CD: It is you you are playing doctor. I am a member of the AAP and I know what their position is. At a recent meeting there was a discussion on using benadryl in kids > 6 months and most agreed. AND note my first post: "Some docs recommend...." Did not say to give without talking to your doc. So please go back and do what you do and stop playing doctor.