FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2018, 4:06 pm
wyogold

Originally Posted by kciflyer
Went to a WM SuperCenter I have never tried to get a MO from. Told the CSR in the Money Center that I wanted a MO for $999 and that I wanted to use two debit cards, the first one for $500 (I was using Simon Metas). I swiped the first one and then chose No cashback as I normally do. The swipe-pad beeped twice and then the ordinary screen to enter my PIN popped up. The CSR immediately said "it sounds like you're using one of those prepaid cards." I played dumb and she repeated it and said that WM is getting picky about allowing prepaid cards (i.e. VGCs) to purchase money orders. She said she wanted to give me a heads up that WM may start disallowing their use to buy MOs. I got my MO, thanked her and went on my way.

I realize that with WMs, it's YMMV. However, I have been noticing at other WMs in my area there's the same quick double beeping noise after I swipe my VGC and choose No cash back. At first I thought there was something wrong, but it allowed me to put in my PIN and pay for my MO, so I stopped being concerned about it. Now, it makes me believe that it may be a way that WMs are identifying the use of VGCs. Maybe I'm paranoid, but this is a new thing at the WMs in my area and it seems weird that the CSR immediately concluded I was using a VGC after she heard the double beep. Maybe this is old news, but I didn't see any other posts about it in the last couple of months. Anyone else noticed this?
I've noticed the double beep since a few days. Was wondering what's up with it .. so there's no double beep with a regular debit card?