FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Extorted by the wheelchair pusher at BKK
View Single Post
Old Apr 11, 2018, 11:20 am
simpleflyer

Originally Posted by exbooking23
God damn 20baht is insulting, and I'm anti-tipping non-US. I'm pretty sure the guy did you a great favour
We are conflating two different things here: definition of a favour, and the pre-agreed value of a service.

A 'gift' that I didn't solicit and then get charged for, is neither a favour nor a gift.

This is easier to see if we turn it around. I would not be doing 'favour' to a vendor/supplier by giving him a gift card (or container load of them) in lieu of the cash we agreed at the outset would be paid for the service or product, even if I try to claim the value of the gift cards is superior to the cash. That is solely my opinion, it may not be his, the gift cards no matter how numerous may not meet his needs and pulling a fast one by changing the terms of payment after the fact is unfair. A contract or agreement is just that, it should not be altered unilaterally but only by mutual agreement. If he suggests "I normally only am required to take wheelchair users to x point" this kind of hint is acceptable, as I can then say, "that will do thanks" in which he must accept he isn't going to make an upsale to me, or alternatively if I counter "could you take me as far as the taxi rank, say for an extra $5" this is treating us both with respect, and also keeping the terms clear to us both.

BTW, I sought out a dictionary to confirm: favour - an act of kindness beyond what is due or usual. The operative thing in this case being that both parties must first establish what is agreed is due or usual.