FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Package handling fees and poor service from “platinum concierge.”
Old Apr 10, 2018, 11:45 pm
sscott77

Programs: United-1K, Million Miler; SPG-Titanium and Lifetime Platinum; Globalist
Package handling fees and poor service from “platinum concierge.”

Shipped a few packages to Westin South Coast Plaza and called to let them know. Was promptly informed of their PER POUND handling fee. I asked if they would waive for Platinum, NO. I was surprised to hear about the fee, as I haven’t been charged it at other SPG hotels, including a hotel in the same category last weekend.

I ship packages to the hotel maybe 5x per year, and they are never large. However, I have never been charged a fee at Hyatt or any other starwood.

when I said I was surprised, the front desk guy told me I shouldn’t be bc they have been doing this for years and all of his colleagues agree. ?????

Called the platinum concierge and explained the issue. He confirmed that yes, the handling fee is buried in the fine print, and many hotels waive it for guests with status. I asked if he could help with that, and he said I should call the hotel back and ask them to waive.

I asked what what the point of a platinum concierge was if he couldn’t help me resolve an issue. He said the hotels like to “hear it from the horse’s mouth.” So, I guess I am a platinum horse.

I understand why why a hotel could charge for a package and all of the arguments there. I wonder though, is the $20 the hotel charges me in handling fee worth the feeling I have of being “nickel and dimed.”

Nothing about this, from the fee to the platinum “concierge” feels like superior customer service. I’ve had one stay at budget hotel chains and had a better user experience. Disappointing.