FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 7 Days - Tokyo and perhaps Kyoto?
View Single Post
Old Apr 9, 2018, 9:35 pm
FlyHighDude

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, base with everyone else
7 Days - Tokyo and perhaps Kyoto?

Hi All,

Our family will be travelling to Japan in the summer. We will be there 7 full days including the day when we will arrive (we will be arriving early morning) but not including the day we leave. We will leave in the morning of the 8th day. We are flying into HND and flying out of NRT. I am not sold on the idea to spend all 7 days in Tokyo. I was thinking for us to visit Kyoto on Shinkansen and visit Arashimaya and some other temples. We will be travelling with small children so we are planning on taking it easy and not trying to pack everything and being rushed. The plan is to get Japan Rail Pass.

When I looked at major hotel chains (Hilton and Marriott), they all pointed to stay in Osaka. I am planning on using points, hence the search for the chains. I realized that it's about 60 minute train ride from Osaka to Kyoto.
How many days would you advise we split Tokyo and Osaka/Kyoto? Do you think 3 days/2 nights including travel is enough? That would mean we only have 1 full day in Kyoto. Is this trip even worth it? Or should we just stay in Tokyo and do a day trip to Hakone?

Any input is greatly appreciated.