FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - London Marriott County Hall, UK [Master Thread]
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:55 pm
happydad100

Just Got "Walked" from London County Hall Marriott

Here is the story that just today (June 29th) ... and a few questions for the experts on this forum:

1) Checked in at 6:00 pm for a 2-night rewards stay. Was asked to take a seat .. after about 5 mintures someone else met me and asked me to join them in the lobby. I hadn't stayed at this hotel before, so I thought this was standard procedure. Well I was then informed that they didn't have any rooms left (2 conventions had booked the hotel ... I still can't figure out why the convention people got my room). I was the 6th and last person to be walked today (no other checkins after me). I was shocked! I hadn't been bumped in over 20 years. Couldn't believe it was happening on a vacation stay with the kids. We probably booked this hotel about 9 months ago. We were SO EXCITED about the location, etc.

2) I was offered a room (still using my Marriot points) at the London Maida Vale. They found us a room for 4 people (on vacation with my wife and kids). I assume this is also a category 7 hotel. I'm writing this from the hotel and it is very nice, but not in a great location.

3) They gave me 100 pounds for the inconvenience. Is this normal? Should I have asked for more or just be glad they gave me something? To be honest, the 100 pounds did ease the pain.

4) Was the fact I was on an award stay increase my chance of getting "walked"? (I have Silver status with Marriott). The women who walked me insisted this was not the case.

5) They paid for my cab to the new hotel.

6) I am booked back on the County Hall for the 2nd night of the stay.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Happydad