FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Frequent Flyer miles for non-airport car rentals
Old Apr 9, 2018, 8:30 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Avis AK might be the only such airport place in the 50+DC US states. But there are plenty of foreign Avis and Hertz airport locations which don't give airline miles.

You didn't notice that I said not to assume you always get miles for airport locations as a lead-up to saying why assume you never get miles for non-airport locations. Ie, there can be exceptions to typically getting airline miles at airport locations, and there can be exceptions to not getting airline miles at non-airport locations. I was just trying to make a points that no simple "rule" about where you do or don't get airline miles (based on whether it's an airport or non-airport location) applies absolutely.

You only need one example to disprove that something is always the case. So we have one example of not getting airline miles at US airports, and we have a few examples of getting miles at US non-airport locations. And that's all it took to prove that neither of these are absolutes.

Now that that's proven, this thread should return to focusing on non-airport locations, which is what this thread is about. (I brought up airport locations only to prove that nothing's absolute about what kind of location it is proving you do or don't get miles.)
My point still stands that one should not factor in any experience at Avis AK being at all related to or representative of rules/policies/practices/procedures at any other Avises (especially in the US). For the purpose of proving/disproving Avis practices, one should effectively assume Avis AK is not even branded Avis at all and should completely ignore the fact they exist. Thus the fact that they don't credit miles at ANC/FAI/whatever is effectively a completely irrelevant data point.

I'm not attempting to prove or disprove your statement about which Avis locations qualify for mileage credit. I'm simply saying that Avis AK is not even a related data point to use in any analysis because they are under such a unique (and ancient) licensee agreement.