FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA & partner airlines (as of 2019)
Old Apr 8, 2018, 6:48 am
CloudCoder

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by raghu
What would be the EQM/EQD and miles earned for this flight, for a AA Gold member?
FLL-MAA
It depends upon who sells the flight (the "marketing carrier"). Don't look at the name on the outside of the aircraft. Look at the Flight Number. Based and Flight Number and Fare Class, you can determine the EQD and EQM for a flight. Just google "Earning AAdvantage miles on British Airways", etc.
Also, how do I find out before such a booking about EQD/EQM and miles earned? Will such information, if it is booked at AA.com, be available before booking?
Yes, when you book on AA.com, one of the screens (where it first shows you the total dollar amount) also shows you the total EQMs and EQDs. Take a screenshot, because it's impossible to get back to that screen after you finalize the booking.
Originally Posted by raghu
Thank you for the prompt reply.
Does it matter if I purchase the ticket from AA or BA? (I assume it does not.)
Thanks again.
Yes, it makes all the difference in the world. A ticket purchased from AA.com has an "AA" flight number and earns according to the American chart ... by fare class. A ticket purchased from BA has a "BA" flight number and earns according to the "Earning AAdvantage Miles on British Airways" chart ... by distance flown. In some cases, the difference is negligible. In other cases, the difference is huge. As a general rule, the cheaper the fare class, the more beneficial it becomes to earn by Distance rather than by Dollars.