FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FlyingBlue Amex for foreigner?
View Single Post
Old Apr 7, 2018, 5:40 pm
brunos
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
Originally Posted by ricardojrsousa
Thanks, Going for any AMEX I'd have to use a technique as above (as in Portugal amex is obtained through a bank and rather troublesome to get, very few issues cards). I do see the advantages of a normal AMEX though,

Exactly. My question was... beyond the fact that in theory you can get one, how likely is it that I won't have to submit the kind of info that would prevent me from getting one. Example: how do they check my earnings to see if I qualify? A local employer is needed? Or a local tax registration?
I am surprised of your statement regarding AMEX in Portugal.
You do need a Portuguese bank account, but I don't think that the AMEX card is issued by that bank. AMEX is not widely used in Portugal, but that does not mean that it is so difficult to get.

Regarding opening a French or Dutch bank account: All banks worldwide are making it more difficult to open bank account by nonresidents as they are under increasing scrutiny for all kinds of reasons and need extensive reporting for nonresidents. And the situation keeps evolving as banks seem to get more and more restrictive. What could be done two years ago does not apply anymore today. That is true even for internet banks. And you will have to keep feeding your account with money to cover your AMEX charges. Frankly, I doubt that it is worth the hassle, let alone the costs. If you spend 20,000 a year you will get 20,000 miles on AMEC FB Gold, that is very little.