FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JW Marriott El Convento Cusco, Peru [Master Thread]
Old Apr 5, 2018, 4:25 pm
farnorthtrader

Unfortunately our experience here was very different from others. My wife and I are both marriott golds and we stayed in this hotel on points for 3 nights last week with our 4 children. We booked our stay a few months in advance and I confirmed one room with a king bed and one with two beds with the reservations people at the hotel. They confirmed this for me and had upgraded the room with two beds to a family room. All seemed in order.
The day before we were to check in, the points for the two bed room were returned to our account. I checked on the app and the reservation for Mar 27-30 related to those points had been cancelled and replaced by another reservation for the same room for March 24-30, with four nights on cash and 2 on points. Very strange, but seemed to still be viable and could be straightened out at the desk when we arrived, certainly easier than trying to fix it from Paracas.
Upon arrival, we were advised that we only had a reservation for a king room, no reservation for the other four people. The front desk advised that there was only an Inca Wall room available with two beds for the first two nights of our stay and that we would have to go on a waiting list for the last night of our stay and that we would have to pay rack rate for that available room for two nights. They advised that we had cancelled our other room and that we had also booked for March 24-30 through Hotels.com and had no-showed for that stay. Since that stay had shown up in our account as having both cash and points components, it was clear that they were lying to us. I immediately went on the app and was able to rebook a two bed room for all three nights of our stay using points in a standard room (rather than the substandard Inca Wall room). This was the room that they claimed was not available. Another lie to start our stay. The front desk associate promised that they would look into how our reservation had gotten cancelled and replaced and contact me the next day with an explanation.
Finally able to go up to our rooms, we were given spa vouchers instead of drink vouchers. Even the drink vouchers we did receive for the other room were no good when we tried to use them for something other than pisco sours, even though we were told we could use them for water or soft drinks.
I also emailed the reservations people who had confirmed our family room to try to get an explanation for the cancellation.
I never received a response from the reservations people and, despite speaking to the front desk associate every day of our stay, were never given an explanation in regard to the cancellation. I completed the hotels survey after our stay highlighting these issues and received a boilerplate response from the guest services manager that also did not explain anything about what happened.
This is a beautiful facility, however, the service, for us, was a major let down. The rooms, for a luxury hotel, are quite small and really do not measure up to other luxury hotels we have stayed in. Overall, this hotel was a bit of a disappointment.

Last edited by farnorthtrader; Apr 6, 2018 at 8:03 am