FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was the 1:3 SPG:Marriott conversion rate too generous?
Old Apr 5, 2018, 11:32 am
Alex_I

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by CPRich
1:3 was perfectly fine. Look at TPG Valuations, various "what are * points worth" on these forums over the last several years, etc - all are right in that ballpark.
SPG has under-earned relative to redemption, and made it up in MAGC, PLT amenity, etc., for many years. Look at any "how many nights to earn a free night' analyses, then see how that changes when these other points are factored in. They just approached it differently. MR had better base earning, SPG made it up with bonuses, elite membership specials, etc.
I fail to see how a 250/nt SPG promo is terrible and 750/nt MR is OK when the 1:3 ratio is a fact.
- You are right on! SPG earning base rate was lower vs. Marriott and Hilton and they were creating excitement among members by running promos and rewarding the best customers well. What Marriott is doing is inflating the redemption rates that will be bringing the earning rates on par with SPG. So what we will end up with will be a combined program with a low earn rate similar to SPG (in terms of free nights per $ spending) and Marriott-style promos (pathetic based on the previous SPG record).