FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread
View Single Post
Old Apr 5, 2018, 1:54 am
littlevoices

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Thought I'd add the TP I did today for reference (getting my GUV2). Note this only works in fairly specific circumstances (i.e. you have a Chinese visa), but is very flexible.
For ~£320 you can get 160 TPs in a day on the following route (~£2/TP, currency exchange dependent)
CAN-HKG-TPE-HKG-CAN with KA/CX
You can only book this directly with CX, other websites want more money (e.g. the fare doesn't appear on ITA matrix)

The interesting part is that the tickets are fully flexible (no change fees if the same booking class is available, £60 cancellation ) and you can do stopovers. In my case I needed 120TPs so I've saved the HKG-CAN flight for a few weeks later (2 month availability of the ticket). This is an ongoing fare, similar pricing to the MY fares out of HK, but without the need for an overnight and very flexible, it was the same price with 24 hours notice.

If you are feeling particularly brave (I wasn't) you could nest this (though ex-HKG is expensive, more in economy for the HKG-CAN-HKG flight). I didn't try the back-to-back, instead I took the (£20 each way) 2 hour train from HK and stayed overnight in Guangzhou. There is no detail if the B2B is possible online, but in theory it should be since the airline is emptying and refilling an A330 and Guangzhou is a fairly small airport. Note: CX only has two flights a day to CAN, but about ten to TPE.

More detail:
CAN-HKG (09:55 departure), connecting to the next TPE flight and back (many HKG-TPE flights, try and choose the ones with 1-2-1 seating), the returning HKG-CAN flight is at 20:15 arriving at 21:20.
My CAN-HKG flight arrived some 30 minutes earlier, so in hindsight I could have taken a short connection, but who cares when you have the CX First Class lounge to enjoy