FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2018)
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2018, 11:25 am
mc0107

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium
got my money back

Originally Posted by mc0107
went to my local money center tonight at 7:50pm. when i was getting ready to swipe for my 295.68 money order with my $300 meta visa, the cashier stepped away to block off the money center because it closed at 8pm. when she came back to the POS, it looked like things timed out on her end. so i swiped again and got insufficient funds (or whatever equivalent error). tried again and no luck, obviously. called gift card mall and they told me it was debited. i didn't go back to the cashier (it was after 8 anyway and she was gone), got no receipt because from her POV it looked like nothing went through. what do you all recommend as a course of action? sort out with the store or dispute the charge with gift card mall? and if i sort out with the store, how do you get around the CSR who will yell at me and say that pre-paid aren't allowed?
in case my data points are helpful for anyone else in a similar situation: i tried unsuccessfully to purchase a MO on 3/27 and the transaction timed out because the clerk stepped away for about a minute to close up the money center. the specific error that printed on the receipt (which i went back to the store a few days later to obtain) says "debit not approved host timeout." it says the money order was a "voided entry" and the fee for the money order was also a voided entry. subtotal, total, cash tend and change due are all $0.00 so it seemed clear that i wasn't charged anything and wasn't due cash from the register as some have reported happening in the past. four business days later on 4/3, the full amount of the MO and the fee were returned to my gift card and all is good in the world.