FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bill Bensley's Tented Camps
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:48 am
dulciusexasperis
Suspended

I can't help but compare these to the 'Tabins' (tent+cabin) I stayed in on St. John in the US Virgin Islands in the late 1970s. Maho Bay Campground as it was called (closed in 2013) was one of the first eco-friendly resorts in the world. It's quite an interesting story if anyone is interested in Googling it.

The Tabins were quite basic and the toilet(composting) and shower facilities were communal. A Coleman two burner camping stove and a Coleman cooler comprised the 'kitchen' along with a few plates, utensils, etc.

On arrival on our first visit, we had to find our way to our Tabin by flashlight and then make our own bed with the sheets provided and left sitting on the mattress. That was after I removed the dead scorpion from the top of the mattress. I kid you not.

When I look a the links above, all I see is the same thing, albeit more luxurious by far, but somehow not nearly as appealing in so many ways. Sometimes I think back to when I was younger and had far less disposable income to play with and miss the more basic aspects of travel. Of course, now my old bones really don't want to sleep on the deck of a Greek ferry or bargain in a Tangiers market for a used and dented cook pot to use for making spaghetti while crossing the Sahara in a VW campervan. But 'those were the days my friends, I thought they'd never end. Those were the days, oh yes those were the days.'

https://www.google.ca/search?q=maho+...w=1366&bih=662