FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DWI Entry to Canada - Consolidated Info
View Single Post
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:05 am
MrEcks

I'm swinging back the other direction on this part. I read some more anecdotes from various lawyer sites and I get the impression that applications are reviewed based on what a given crime and punishment would look like in Canada. Even though my State divides the administration of these matters between two separate governmental entities, Canada is only concerned with the total consequences arising from a given conviction.

An interesting comment was that, while a Border Agent has discretion, Agents are subject to a standard of review. This is meant to keep evaluations for Entry consistent - if an applicant meets the given criteria for entry, it shouldn't be a 50-50 proposition whether they get in.

Someone on another forum recently sent in a TRP application, so we are waiting to see turn-around time. If it is four months, then applying through Consulate won't work for me. If my Application is complete, then the question is whether to risk attempting this at a Port of Entry. A friend was telling me that he went and two associates were sent to Secondary with this issue. One was admitted and one was turned back. He didn't know what the difference was, but was surprised that the guy sent home was a Senior Accountant, and not some punk kid. I suspect that the gentleman in question tried to turn his Interview into a Debate.