FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Was the 1:3 SPG:Marriott conversion rate too generous?
Old Apr 4, 2018, 7:50 am
Bravada04

Well, I have been extremely loyal to SPG - too loyal at times that definitely cost me money. I would stay at an SPG property no matter how much more it was. As this merger continues to move forward and I keep my options open it is amazing some of the nice hotels out there pretty much in every destination visited that are equal if not better to a SPG property but much less expensive.

For me, I am still loyal but I believe it is obvious based on my travel schedule (which is primarily leisure now a days) I will be parting from the points addiction in the very near future. The cost / reward ratio just does not/will not add up. I understand from a business perspective/expense it won't make a difference to a lot of people. I simply cannot see Marriott retaining a lot of the past loyal SPG customers from the years. It is something I was hoping I would not do but it has become obvious there is no way this is going to turn out for the "good" for some of us. It is actually kind of sad but it will be adventure of sourcing out new and different properties - something I have not done in many years.

btw...I have to add as to how much it irks me when I visit a property now and see a "Marriott" name/emblem attached to something with the hotel. Weird.........but just does! Feels like they took something away that was close to me.

Last edited by Bravada04; Apr 4, 2018 at 7:55 am Reason: addition