FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bill Bensley's Tented Camps
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2018, 7:16 pm
chinmoylad
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by TheBrownPrince
For over a decade now, FS Golden Triangle has been something of a singular experience. Yes, there are other under-canvas luxury hotels around but Bill Bensley's unique style coupled with the FS ethos has been quite special.

As many of you are aware, this year, 3 different hotels are launching, all of which feature Mr. Bensley's luxury tents:
Rosewood Luang Pabang (opened last week) - https://www.rosewoodhotels.com/en/luang-prabang
Shinta Mani Wild (4th Qtr 2018) - Shinta Mani Wild ? The Bensley Collection - Opening Middle of 2018 Shinta Mani Hotels
Capella Ubud (sometime 2018) - https://www.capellaubud.com

From the information available, what I find strange is that despite each hotel being under a different flag and in a different country, they all look remarkably similar. I cannot shake off the suspicion that it might be the same experience over and over (similar to checking-into any of Shangri-la's business hotels).

Do the people in this forum feel it will be worth visiting each on a separate vacation or is one experience enough to maximize the thrill of the novelty?
Also, I wonder how pricing will work with FS Golden Triangle currently at a nightly rate of $2500 vs Capella Ubud at $850 (indicative). Isn't that a remarkable discrepancy for very comparable rooms?
I had the same opinion to an extent when I saw them - they all look very much like copy and pastes, which while they are stunning, is a little disappointing.

Having said that, each experience will still be different, by virtue of place (Golden Triangle vs Ubud vs Luang Prabang for example).

Which also plays into the pricing factor, among other things (meal inclusions etc) - no one is charging USD 2,500++ per night in Ubud and getting away with it, inclusive of food or not.