Old Apr 3, 18, 10:29 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
My experience from 40+ CebuPac flights over the last 4y is this:
- the policy is 1 carry-on + 1 personal item, never been challenged or seen anybody be challenged. What qualifies as a personal item varies with staff - anything from purse to kitchen sink...
- 5J had scales at MNL T3 for a while, but they are gone. Instead, they now force everybody to the counter and you can't go straight to gate anymore with boarding pass, so no more sneaking through with oversized luggage...
- check-in staff rarely weighs backpacks that are reasonble size, but usually will weigh wheeled carry on...
- I've never had my personal item, usually a small backpack/slingpack weighed... It usually holds a small 11in laptop, gadgets, etc and is heavy...
- whenever I had overweight carry-on, I'd pay for check-in and asked politely to carry on and was allowed to do so... At airports in the Philippines a smile and polite question goes very far...
...of course your personal experience can vary, you might have a 7.1kg bag be rejected or get on with 3 bags... My recommendation is to stay close to the limits, avoid wheeled bags and you should be fine...