FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upcoming changes to Flying Blue in 2018
View Single Post
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:47 am
af fp

Originally Posted by Solevita
But you're talking about miles, I'm talking about segments (the disadvantage of the old system - you qualified with one or the other). In your case, 15 flights would have got you silver, not 28 - that would almost get you Gold..

OK so now that's 10 longer distance flights you need, 5 TATL round trips in the new system. It depends on your flight patterns... Long distance fliers are perhaps better off in most cases, European fliers worse off.
You are right on 15 and not 28, I corrected this. Indeed FB do not seem to find their low-fare European base worthy of elite, on the other hand, an Indian who lives in the US will qualify for silver after 2.5 round trips home, which is 5 one-ways or 10 segments, this may be reachable with as little as USD 4,000, whereas previously one would have needed to spend almost double. On the other hand, it is a lot more money than before when 15 intra-European segments could probably be obtained with less than $1,000 with wise mileage runs, I get this. Clear focus on amount spent (but not necessarily on profitability, selling return flights between US and India for less than $1000 is probably not too profitable, more a seat filler).