FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: 2018 NEWBIE LOUNGE Ask Your "Newbie" AA Questions Here (flame free)
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:16 am
JDiver
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by MileJunkieIsHereAgain
Hi, I'm new to AA, so this question was probably asked before, thus apologies if I repeat...

I just booked CLT-CDG flight for 5/22, and I don't seem to be able to select seats - unless I pay AA big bucks ($142/pp for extra leg room & early boarding, or $77 for "favorable location". Really?)
Is this typical/normal? We didn't pay a lot for our tix, and if we paid $142x2 for early boarding, both ways, it'd be like paying 50% more for our tickets. Duh....

What are the rules for seat selection before departure? Will there be any chance wife and I will sit next to each other?
Some of the answers depend on which fare you purchased. For example, “B” or “Basic Economy” on AA (also offered by other airlines) means no advance seat selection (assigned at checkin) or overhead carryon. See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html.

As well, AA is one of the airlines that has monetized much of the flying experience: if you have no status and purchased a lower gate, it is more restricted and may incur costs for “premium” or better seating, etc.