FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Premium Fare Gone]: Cathay J: ORD - MLE/CMB RT ~$2,600
Old Apr 2, 2018, 12:54 pm
swingaling

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by fish3d
I just got off the phone with the AA EXP desk and they called Advantage CS. I was told that for sure my flight would earn the .25 EDQ based on miles flown. I asked for something in writing but was unable to get it however the agent gave me her name and location and said she would make a note of our conversation. I know this is skimpy but better then nothing.
I looked at the itinerary you posted and you'll be absolutely fine. The CX flights are all CX-marketed (i.e. CX flight numbers), so you'll earn based on the CX earnings chart (most importantly, distance-based EQDs). The fact that you bought it from AA and that AA knows what you paid is not relevant (with respect to partner earnings). For your AA-marketed ORD-LAX flight, you'll probably earn fare-based EQDs, but that's fairly inconsequential. Ballpark of your earnings for this:

CX Flights (LAX-HKG-MLE-HKG-ORD):
31,500 EQM + 5,200 EQD + 51,450 RDM (includes EXP bonus)
AA Flight (ORD-LAX):
3,400 EQM + unknown EQD + unknown RDM

Note: If I had to guess, I'd say you'll earn something like 100-400 EQD for that single AA flight.

Originally Posted by rollthere
I will bet you $1 that that he will receive fare based EQD. It's happened to me twice that I've been awarded fare based EQD on partner carrier marketed flights when AA knows the fare that I paid. Hopefully for him I'm wrong and it just seems that this whole fare/distance-based EQD is a real crapshoot unless you are sure the ticket is issued by a separate carrier. When I buy BA or QF tickets with AA segments the purchase price shows up in my AA itineraries.
Are you referring to the AA segments or the non-AA segments? The AA-marketed flights will probably credit EQD on a fare basis. But any partner-marketed flights will credit EQDs on a distance basis. There's no provision in the award charts for fare-based EQD earnings on partner-marketed flights. If flying an AA-marketed flight on partner metal, then earnings would absolutely accrue per the AA chart. If they don't, it would presumably be down to an IT glitch.

I've flown on AA tickets (purchased from aa.com) where I had a single segment on a partner marketed flight (e.g. JL) with the rest on AA marketed flights. I earned per the partner table for the partner marketed segment and the AA table for the AA marketed flights.

That said, the AA segment on this itinerary is only ORD-LAX. The bulk of the earnings will come from the CX flights, so it's not a big loss.

Last edited by swingaling; Apr 2, 2018 at 1:16 pm