FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.
View Single Post
Old Mar 31, 2018, 9:53 am
Seat 2A
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
9. You always knew that your degree in agricultural sciences from Florida State would serve you well someday. Look at you now: manager of the Southwest Nebraska Soy Cooperative – Nebraska’s largest – located just outside Grand Island, Nebraska. When an opportunity arises to fly back to Tallahassee for a get together with fellow alums from the Ag Department, you are thrilled at the opportunity to indulge in your other passion – air travel. Just last week you scored a used OAG from the local travel agency which has allowed you to put together a fantastic trip involving five different airlines. Not only that, but each flight will utilize the same type of aircraft which just happens to be your favorite. Check out this itinerary:

Only one airline serves Grand Island with jets. Starting Monday afternoon, you’ll board one of its flights - a one stop service to Chicago where you’ll join friends for dinner at the renowned Palmer House. Tuesday morning, it’s off to O’Hare for an 8:25am departure to Indianapolis. Arriving at Indy’s Weir Cook International Airport at 9:10am, you’ve got plenty of time to connect to your next flight to Columbus since the minimum published connection time between the two airlines you’re flying is 20 minutes. Following a nice lunch with the Dean of Ohio State’s Ag Department, it’s back to the airport for a mid-afternoon departure to Ft. Lauderdale. A single stop is made along the way. You’ll spend the night with an old friend in Hollywood before relocating to nearby Miami International on Wednesday morning for your one stop flight to Tallahassee.

The correct answer to this question will involve:
  • Properly identifying each of the five airlines
  • Identifying the single equipment type operated throughout this journey
Per jlemon: I'm pleased to report that my personal sense of adventure remains fully intact.....and we are looking for an aircraft "built overseas" here, are we?

Well, then.....an old friend comes to mind: the BAC One-Eleven. I experienced a number of great flights back in the day on board the One-Eleven, first with the original Braniff International (including a ride up front in first while traveling standby on a 50% off youth fare) and later with Pacific Express. And I believe we can rule out both BN and VB with regard to the airlines in question here.

So here we go....

* Air Wisconsin (ZW) operating Grand Island (GRI) - Lincoln (LNK) - Chicago O'Hare (ORD)
* Britt Airways (RU) operating Chicago O'Hare (ORD) - Indianapolis (IND)
* USAir (US) operating Indianapolis (IND) - Columbus (CMH)
* Florida Express (ZO) operating Columbus (CMH) - Orlando (MCO) - Fort Lauderdale (FLL)
* Atlantic Gulf (ZY) operating Miami (MIA) - West Palm Beach (PBI) - Tallahassee (TLH)

Nicely done, Dr. Lemon! ^ There weren't too many foreign built aircraft operating over these routes back in 1985, so once you settled upon the 111, I should imagine the rest fell into place quite nicely. Here's the schedule:

Mon. Air Wisconsin ZW 804 Grand Island (GRI) 445p-510p Lincoln (LNK) 525p-637p ORD B11 X67

Tue. Britt Air RU 921 Chicago (ORD) 825a-910a Indianapolis (IND) B11 X67

Tue. US Air AL 199 Indianapolis (IND) 940a-1121a Columbus (CMH) B11 X67

Tue. Florida Express ZO 704 Columbus (CMH) 305p – 515p Orlando (MCO) 545p-635p FLL B11 Daily

Wed. Atlantic Gulf ZY 120 Miami (MIA) 830a-850a West Palm Beach (PBI) 905a-1005a TLH B11 X67

Last edited by Seat 2A; Mar 31, 2018 at 11:12 am