FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Starwood program not worth trying vs. Marriott
Old Mar 31, 2018, 3:03 am
eleen

I am having a total different experience

I Am an avid Starwood customer and recently started trying out some Marriot properties this year since the Merge. I have to say....except for the Autograph collection hotels, my experience with Marriott and Renaisance have been pretty lack luster.

Starwood properties tend to deliver exception experiences when I stay with them (even without my gold privileges when I book through third party). So far my Marriott and Renaisance stays have been less than satisfying even when I am using my membership (except for some Autograph hotels and JW Marriott which are so far really at par with the Starwood experiences I have had).

I note 3 main significance difference between the Starwood vs Marriott hotels I have visited. The service at Starwood tend to be more personalised and attentive (with the exception of four points..ugh!). Starwood staffs tend to go the extra mile even in their middle range hotels, in my experience. Also Starwood hotels tend to be very well mantain regardless of their age...and this is quite a major gripe for me. Thirdly, I find the executive lounges in Starwood hotel tend to be more welcoming. I hardly get asked my room number when I go into Starwood hotels...the staff somehow generally just know who you are after check in..it is incredible. There were occasions when I get asked my room number in Starwood hotel exec lounges..but this is quite rare. On the contrary..Marriott I find that Marriott hotel lounges tend to be less welcoming.

The price of Marriott hotels are generally more competitive... This however is not enough to entice me to use them on a long term / consistent basis.