FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ: Frequently Asked Questions
View Single Post
Old Mar 30, 2018, 5:40 pm
zeer0

Programs: OZ Diamond (*G), KQ Asante Gold (ST+), Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by goodtasting
My question : I may end up having enough points to cover economy class awards flights for two people for the above, but if given the chance and knowing my itinerary above, would it make sense to try to hit Asiana Gold/*A Silver earlier in the trip based on the benefits? From what I saw, it doesn't look like it'd be worth it for *A Silver, but maybe for Gold (even then, I have Priority Pass through my CSR).

Having *A silver (or gold) wouldn't enable me to be eligible for any seat upgrades on any other non-Asiana *A airlines right?
*A silver is useless unless flying Asiana or United (they extend premier access to *Silver). You won't otherwise be receiving any benefits from *A partners.

*A silver OR gold is not "officially" going to get you any upgrades on OZ, let alone any partner *A airlines. You will be higher on the op-up list if a flight is oversold in Y due to *A status, but op-ups are rare nowadays. You can actually use OZ miles to upgrade flights on any *A partners, but you have to be booked in full fare Y (usually a variant of Y/B/M), so this is rarely a good deal.

I really wouldn't bother going for *S unless those flights are the cheapest/best scheduled anyways. *G is a different matter, and very useful if you fly enough.