FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hollywood sign, Venice Beach and Santa Monica Pier
Old Mar 29, 2018, 4:39 pm
Polytonic

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Caribgrl
What's the best way to see the Hollywood sign up close or at least somewhat up close? Is the Griffith Observatory our best be since we are not looking for too much of a hike. Any touring companies recommended? Or other recommendations. Thanks
Griffith is kind of a side-angle view of the sign, and it's pretty far away. They have telescopes mounted along the walkway and you can get a better view that way (the ones where you stick a quarter in IIRC). Parking is a huge pain, so either go early, or very late. If your goal is "I want a photo in front of huge white letters to show off on Instagram" for instance, the best view involves a bit of a hike, or perhaps Lake Hollywood Park? You used to be able to get a fairly good view from Beachwood Canyon (though I hear that's now closed).

Venice Beach/Santa Monica Pier are close together -- you can actually walk from one to the other; I'd recommend starting at the corner of Abbot Kinney and Venice, walking up the street, then cut across to the beach and then you can follow the beach up to Santa Monica Pier. Both areas are pretty touristy (i.e. expect long lines in Venice for Salt & Straw, Intelligentsia, etc.).