FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - DWI Entry to Canada - Consolidated Info
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2018, 2:13 pm
MrEcks

Question: Application and Instructions specifically ask for "Court" judgments. Instructions for calculating start of five year rehabilitation period refer to driving restrictions as "You are prohibited by the Criminal Court from driving." In an effort to get a document from the court attesting to satisfaction of my sentence, they reiterated that the "court" is not concerned with driving restrictions and gave me a document certifying that my sentence was completed more than five years ago. Driving restrictions that resulted from this matter were imposed by depart of motor vehicles and were completed a couple of years later, Any suggestions on how to prepare Application? In exact terms, the application is solely concerned with judgments of the "Court" and my "Court" has given a date when their judgement against me was satisfied. On the other hand common sense would indicate that the "spirit" of the rules would warrant inclusion of extra-judicial sanctions.

I hesitate to act on the "spirit" versus the "letter" of the rules, as the statutes of different States ARE taken into consideration. For example, not all States require some jail time, resulting in some people getting to apply for a "free" TRP, while others, with the same offence, must pay.