FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Replace tablet with Chromebook -- suggestions?
Old Mar 28, 2018, 3:03 am
1flyer
Suspended

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Replace tablet with Chromebook -- suggestions?

Often times, I don't want to take a notebook with me on my leisure travel. But, even when traveling for pleasure, I still have to answer some work-related emails and edit stuff in our content-management system. Even my purely personal internet and computer usage is relatively type-heavy and productivity-driven. So sometimes I end up taking a business laptop anyway. And when I don't and travel with my 9.7 inch tablet + bluetooth keyboard instead, it's not really satisfactory.

The fact is, I have little use for my tablet apart from reading the occasional e-paper or from browsing FT. I think I'd be much better off with a small and compact Chromebook as I really need the keyboard and the touchpad or point stick.

What Chromebook do you guys suggest? Price is a factor, it shouldn't cost significantly more than USD 300 (definitely no more than USD 400).

I'm not a fan of Chrome OS so I'd like to install a Linux distro on it. I don't imagine I need much local storage space. I guess the screen and keyboard quality should be competitive for my price range. GPU performance is pretty much irrelevant to me.

tl;dr Suggestions on a light-weight, compact Chromebook with decent screen and keyboard which can run Linux? Price around USD 300, USD 400 max.