FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hyatt Regency Kyoto - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD
Old Mar 27, 2018, 8:21 pm
jpdx
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I haven't been checking as frequently as I used to, but as far as I know the 3,000 yen coupon is pretty much gone for good. Not surprised that they are following Tokyo's lead and raising the service charge. Good to hear that they have adjusted the ridiculous rate on T&C. Kyoto will be introducing a hotel tax from Oct. 1, similar to Tokyo but higher: 200 yen/night/person for stay charges (including service charges) of less than 20,000 yen/night/person, 500 yen for 20,000-50,000, and 1,000 yen for >50,000. And then the consumption tax is scheduled to go up from 8% to 10% from Oct 1 next year.
So ultimately we'll be looking at a ++ of 23%, plus 200/500/etc yen per night local taxes? I know Japanese tourism is booming, but these fees/taxes are getting out of hand. Most importantly, I wish there was consistency in how rates are quoted. Some hotels quote all-in (e.g., HR Fukuoka, HR Osaka, HR Naha), while others quote +tax (GH Fukuoka), or +tax and service charge (Tokyo properties). Of course SPG still beats Hyatt in this game of rate confusion -- some hotels (e.g, Sheraton Osaka) quote revenue rates all-in, but C&P rates exclusive of taxes and service charge.