FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reward Flight 'Dynamic Pricing' Discussion
Old Mar 26, 2018, 8:36 am
SuperstarDJ

Programs: BA GGL/CCR/GFL
Originally Posted by GUWonder

BA wants to play out of the DL playbook on this one, and that means the loyalty program currency will be destroyed for most customers interested in redeeming awards from the program. I wouldn’t be surprised if the pain hits customers even before BA’s IT gets BAEC to where BA management want it to be to devalue the loyalty program currency.

When airline programs turn out to be little more than elite status programs with a minuscule cash-back-equivalent element, for most customers, the program’s coffin being delivered earlier would have been a mercy.
Sadly I think you’re right - agree that the sooner we know, the better. They control the currency and the club, so we have no say. I’d rather know now in order to take my business elsewhere in some cases.

I wonder what percentage of premium cabin flyers are loyal to BA for the Exec club benefits vs those using it for “transport” only? Those on Flyertalk a a fairly unique breed, yet at the same time I do know a lot of people who are reasonably avid Avios collectors.

I found myself in my early 20s quickly realising that I should avoid Virgin /other airlines etc and stick to BA to maximise my benefits. If they tinker with it all too much, they will lose at least some of my J travel.

While I think the changes will be worse for everyone, I still think it will be those who collect points from means other than flying that will be hit even more. I’m sure that’s what the airline would want - to look after their premium cabin customers the most....

BA are then into a game of how much they can rely on their LHR dominance to retain custom with loyalty scheme sensitive flyers.

If they spoil the benefits too much, I can see a scenario where I’m using them mainly for short haul as there will be little point in collecting tier points and Avios. I appreciate a lot of business travellers may just get their tickets bought through their company, and it’ll probably not change for many of them.

My long haul J travel will then be with whoever offers the best price / product at the time. Some of my colleagues are already fed up with BA and mix their travel with other carriers, meanwhile I’m left standing by BA due to the exec club!