FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Economy Plus (E+) - Questions/Worth It?/Experiences [Consolidated]
Old Mar 24, 2018, 5:40 pm
StuckinITH

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by edealinfo12345
The flight is for someone who is 5 feet 3 inches. The more I think about it, the extra 3 inches, doesn't seem to be worth it especially since it is not Premium Economy, which would have been a totally different experience. I will continue to seek feedback.

Separately, if United doesn't sell all the Economy plus seats (whether newly ticketed, or existing tickets for which a seat upgrade is sought, will they let anyone choose the economy plus seats for free, 24 hours from the travel date, or would they actually let the seat remain empty as a wasted empty space?
At 24 hours from the travel date they will only let you choose the Economy + seat for free if you are United MileagePlus Silver (Higher level members would have chosen those seats at booking). If Economy is fully booked, they will put the Economy passengers who have not yet chosen seats into Economy + seats but then they may end up in middle seats which are not very comfortable. If Economy is not fully booked, they will let the Economy + seats remain empty. It's not a wasted empty seat. The Economy + passenger will get to enjoy some extra space. And don't think that it's OK to move from Economy to Economy + seats after boarding if you see empty seats in Economy +. That's poaching.

FWIW, I much prefer traveling in Economy + than in Economy. Those few inches is not only for the legs but also for when the passenger in front of you reclines his/her seat into your face.