FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Apartments vs. SQ New A380 Suites vs. JAL First Class
Old Mar 24, 2018, 12:12 pm
iluvdoco

Repeating my SQ post here (so you don't have to scroll up when looking at the photos)

Singapore Airlines new A380 Suites (stylish but not as practical)

Seat: B+ (the swivel seat isn't bad, but it's not very practical. Also lack of buddy dining)
Privacy: A+ (enclosed)
Tech: A- (wireless tablet remote/Krisflyer app sync, noise cancelling cans, WiFi, 32-inch touchscreen BUT touchscreen is fairly low resolution)
Service: A+ (excellent service)
Food: A- (Book the Cook was disappointing- my rack of lamb sounded promising but was very overcooked)
Champagne/Beverages: A+ (Krug AND Dom? Get outta here)
Home City Lounge: B+ (stylish and exclusive, but food in The Private Room wasn't great, about the same as Etihad's lounge in AUH, plus the waiter forgot two of my food orders)
Amenity Kit: B (stylish but impractical! When flying to SIN, passengers get a unisex amenity kit which includes a candle and a glass fish)
Other: B to B+ (lacks a Lobby area on the A380, seat wobbling, better and more storage than in Etihad Apartments, some questionable design choices that lack functionality, but overall very high quality finishes)

I ranked Etihad Apartments in a tie with SQ's New A380 Suites, but I would give a slight edge to the Etihad Apartments for having a more functional and practical design.
- SQ decided to not include a shower, but instead the bathroom has a powder room section of sorts. It's certainly very neat at first glance, but just doesn't seem very practical if you're not female.
- Lack of buddy dining
- Seat wobbles during strong turbulence (not exactly confidence inspiring)
- Need to swivel seat just to watch large touchscreen. Although the small screen in front of the seat can be used to show movies, it's tiny. I want to be able to watch movies on the 32 inch touchscreen, but I can't when the plane is preparing to land. By contrast, I can watch Etihad's large screen even if the plane is preparing to land.
- The 32 inch screen seemed to have a lower resolution than Etihad's touchscreen. I'd estimate the resolution at 720p, which is unacceptable for a 32 inch screen. I would've preferred that SQ use a higher res, but smaller screen. Also the touch functions were not sensitive as on Etihad's touchscreen.
- The fold down bed wasn't uncomfortable (some have complained that the cushioning was too hard), but SQ's decision to just cover it with a sheet seems haphazard.
- The food was disappointing. My rack of lamb was extremely overcooked. Good garlic bread though.
- Best champagne selection ever.
- Cabin temp was fine.

I do have to compliment SQ for their very high quality finishes throughout the cabin. From the thick carpeting to the details on the light sconces, it was evident and very luxurious.

Upper deck entrance

My cabin, 1A. I think it's the largest suite?

The orchids aren't real (unlike Lufthansa), although I think it's not a bad idea. The orchid vase is permanently attached to the table. I like the background texturing and subtle colors on the walls.

Storage along swivel seat. Very high quality vanity, padded leather, good storage.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Mar 24, 2018 at 1:39 pm