FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Etihad Apartments vs. SQ New A380 Suites vs. JAL First Class
Old Mar 23, 2018, 4:08 pm
iluvdoco

What pushed JAL over the top for me was its 3-Michelin star menu on flights ex-NRT. Not merely inspired by these 3 Michelin star restaurants, but actually featuring food from said restaurants. I suspect that for other people who don't like to eat as much as I do, the ranking will be different.

Seat

Here, JAL's classic 5 dish appetizer, but instead featuring dishes from Ishikawa and Kohaku. From left to right; Steamed savory egg custard with truffle accompanied by caviar (Kohaku); two-color asparagus fiddlehead fern & broadbean with Kohaku Original XO sauce (Kohaku); hair crab meat with ginger vinegar (Ishikawa); simmered sakura shrimp, bracken, bamboo shoots, shiitake mushroom & burdock (Ishikawa), glass shrimp, giant butterbur & herring roe, egg yok vinegar with butterbur bud (Kohaku)

Western entree comprising blue lobster with turnip, sauce Americaine.

Western dessert comprising "Kotoka" strawberry & rhubarb in a springlike vacherin style.

Returned to the Japanese Michelin menu for desserts. Selected sweet tamba black beans (Kohaku); Yuribari melon with rum sauce, rum jelly, raw sugar jelly & roasted walnut (Ishikawa); and truffle chocolate (Kohaku). The Yuribari melon is very pricey, so I was impressed they placed this item in an airline dessert!

I consumed much more food on my flight, but those are the highlights.

Last edited by iluvdoco; Mar 23, 2018 at 10:15 pm