FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Suggestions for Thailand / Vietnam / Cambodia
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:36 am
barracuda93

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Originally Posted by dsquared37
Temples aren't your thing? Fine. Saying they are all the same?
Looks like you either didn't read my reply or failed to understand it

And for someone who claims to be a photographer.
Once again, you argue with your projections. I never claimed to be a photographer. Yes, I take photos, for myself. Who doesn't now? This is neither my job nor primary interest.
It's also a weird assumption that each and every photographer must be interested in temples, otherwise he is a hypocrite.

I do love your direct belief in what's better based upon, well, nothing, since you haven't even traveled here.
Well, how people at all make a decision of going to some new place? There are always plenty of places they never been to. And they, as a matter of fact, do not have direct experience of either.
Also, there is no lack of information nowadays. It is well possible to have a judgement based on facts even without a personal experience of the place. And I never claimed my opinion about Cambodia is something more than that.

Look, REP (as a town) sucks. Tourists suck. But have at it in PNH and watch out for your camera while walking around or you're more than likely to lose everything.
Look, from what I read and see online, Cambodia sucks as a whole. I do not expect PP to be like Singapore or Bangkok. My expectations are low. The only reason I at all consider going there is just to make some difference and put a checkmark "Cambodia done". I would actually be surprised if I happen to like it.
I live in Asia long enough to be able to imagine how crappy a place can be. After extensive travels in India – and no, not to Taj Mahal and Rishikesh – hardly some place can really shock me. So please, there is really no need to try scare me with images of traffic jams and occasional street theft, as if that is exclusive to PP.

The temples however cannot be found outside of the region and even then only in several places in Isaan and southern Laos outside of Cambodia.
Angkor is based on the same pattern (vastu) as any other old Hindu temple. Of course an expert in architecture would easily spot Khmer specifics, but I am not one (moreover, I doubt you happen to be one, given your weird statement), so yes, it's just another old Hindu temple, I have seen dozens of those and time to time still visit some.
Contrary to what you said above, I love certain temples. But why should I want to go to Angkor specifically? Because it's a part of the popular with masses touristic routine? Because it's huge? Because it's very much advertised? No, thanks. I'd rather visit some smaller remote temples of Orissa and Northern Kerala.