FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Auctioning of business class seats
View Single Post
Old Mar 22, 2018, 2:29 am
headingwest

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KLouis
I am aware of the fact that this is an entirely new feature for A3; my point (not explicitly written out) was that for almost everything OA and A3 passengers share all resources. Of course this is not true for benefits to *A golds on OA, but other than that I am not aware of ant distinctions. As for your bidding, I misread Headingwest's screenshot-containing post, with his 145€ bid, and I thought it was yours
Haha, I certainly did not make any bid...the system 'helpfully' preselected the €145 bid when I entered the function.

Personally I don't like this idea one little bit, partly because of what I've seen on other airlines. I remember a few years back when I had an Austrian economy flight to Chicago and I decided to bid for an upgrade. Being as tight as I am (OK, I'm not afraid to admit it ) I bid a very low amount - I think it was €300. Not surprisingly I didn't get it, but when I boarded the flight I was actually quite happy. Walking through the Business cabin, it was packed solid...not an empty seat. But to my surprise the economy cabin was very lightly loaded indeed. I ended up with a row of 3 seats to myself and it turned out to be an excellent, quiet flight with a very attentive crew who probably had lots of extra time. That was when I made up my mind never to bid for upgrades again because they fill the cabins.

If you make something less exclusive, you make it less desirable. In a way I think that's the way it's going with Miles&Bonus and perhaps Star Alliance Gold generally. Each few months they chip away at the benefits and its all becoming less desirable. I like Aegean very much, but I fear that it's heading the same way as all the other airlines. I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by headingwest; Mar 22, 2018 at 2:41 am