FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Best way to get 20K Reward points for Lifetime status?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 10:58 am
Seabilly

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by Pratima Ramkhelawan
I am about 20K point shy of Lifetime Platinum at Marriott. I had the Chase Marriott Visa card but they just cancelled that for Canada. That has been replaced with an offer for the SPG Amex which offers a bonus of 25K SPG (or equivalent of 75K Rewards).
Two questions:
1. Does the 75K count earned "reward" points or only SPG... i.e. does it help me get towards my Lifetime Platinum status. From what i can tell it does not. Does anyone know for sure?
2. Assume the SPG Amex does NOT count towards Rewards points, ...I dont stay at hotels for business much anymore so the Chase Visa was my primary mechanism for earning points that counted towards lifetime status. What are your suggestions on the best way to get about 20K reward points in the next few months that would qualify towards lifetime status? I know you can buy them.. would cost me about $250 US (which might worth it) but trying to figure out another way. I am in Canada so I cannot get any of the US credit cards. I am trying to get to lifetime platinum before they announce any changes to both programs.
SPG points will convert to Marriott points but do not increase your lifetime points. You could also do some vacation stays at Marriott properties, but if the cost to just buy them outright is $250, that is properly cheaper unless you had a spouse or family member or other who would be willing to give you the points.