FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bank of America Alaska Airlines card
View Single Post
Old Mar 21, 2018, 9:41 am
Carl Christensen

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Spire Amb
Originally Posted by ScubaAddict
Thank you for taking the time to answer, but that doesn't help much. I have read the wiki numerous times. I am aware that <5k credit line only qualifies you for a Platinum Plus.

My initial question was why my wife would be declined with a 6 figure income, and very high credit score - maybe she violated the churning 2/3/4 rules - so I asked (because I am still unsure if business cards are pulled into those rules - some posts state that they are not factored in, while other posts, simply by omitting the information, imply that business cards are factored in to the churning rules). So I posted her application history to see if some nice and knowledgeable person here could tell me which it was, and if she did/didn't break the rules (hence a 'possible' reason for the denial). We later ascertained from recon that the denial was due to credit being frozen - but this does not answer my initial question - did we violate the churn rules? I also noted that on our 'status pending' page that it states it was for the Platinum Plus card, but I was 100% sure I applied for the Signature card.

@vm81 saw my question and replied that there is no way to control what card you are approved for. I thought that was unusual that there is no control - (assuming the card you were approved for had to have at least something to do with credit worthiness and income) so I asked about it. Again, I am aware of the CL requirement, which didn't seem to apply in our case (unless 6 figure income routinely don't qualify for credit lines above 5k).

I guess if there is anyone who knows if we broke the anti-churn rules, please let me know. Thanks!
People are answering you but you are not understanding their answer.

A component missing from your understanding perhaps is that CL is not immediately freed up when closing a card. A bank may only be willing to extend XX,XXX total credit line exposure to any one individual. Even though you have closed those cards, the credit lines still remain allocated for XX months. If that is the case with her (and it appears to be the case) then their system will only automatically offer X,XXX credit for the new app. If that amount is less than 5k then they appear to give you a lesser product line that doesn't require the 5k credit line.