FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My disappointment with 1K, How to get more out of your 1K status.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 8:34 am
hookthem

Programs: 1K
Originally Posted by simonoaks
1. Not seeing any more upgrades than I did as a Plat - even on a 777 ORD - EWR flight where 28 people cleared before me !
Don't expect upgrades on hub-to-hub routes. You'll also have a lot of folks that are connecting to paid int'l J flights out of EWR. You'll also have a high number of 1K/GS. 28 people clearing before a 1K is not uncommon - GS, any elite member on Y/B economy fare, any passenger using an upgrade instrument, and 1K's on a higher fare class will all clear before you.
2. I found out there is no complimentary upgrade for SFO/LAX to ERW - rip off !
PS route
3. And this is the biggest shock - I just tried to upgrade a LHR to EWR flight and found out that you have to have a certain FREAKING ticket class to use the 'free GPUs'!!!! Seriously, I did not even know that. So my K ticket is useless , but she said I can pay an extra 300 bucks to get the minimum W ticket!! So, not all my GPUs (which was what I chased 1k for in the first place ) are pretty worthless as it means paying an extra 400 bucks for a ticket just to freaking use them. WHat use is that?!!
Yeah, I agree this is a huge drawback. This isn't an issue for many folks (I very rarely book early enough to get a fare lower than W).
4. Not that is exactly related to this, but still something else to be annoyed at my stupid airline loyalty, I looked at using points to visit UK in summer and they jump up from the usual 25k to 70K , each way! Again, what is the point of collecting these miles, then not even being able to use them when you actually need them ???!!
I agree it is a lot of miles, but TBH just buy the darn ticket and wait until the opportunity comes up to use your miles. If you travel to Asia at all, I find great opportunities to use my miles (saver) in F on other airlines.

I would agree that 1K isn't really worth it. I didn't re-qualify this year and don't miss it!