FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Worthy of a DOT complaint? (Deaf pax AA reaccommodation fail)
Old Mar 19, 2018, 12:37 pm
danielonn

Originally Posted by kb9522
Your insecurity in flying solo is not AAs problem. As long as they adhere to any applicable regulations, and as mentioned before there is no indication they did not, they are under no obligation to honor your seating request. As to your concern about being an impediment in an emergency, in the eyes of the law a FA coming over and assisting is no more risky than a "translator" whose qualifications are not known to the carrier. I know it's not what you want to hear, but that's the way it is.

They weren't given "your" seats.

Your opinion on the subject is irrelevant in a discussion about the carrier's obligations.
I agree with you. First of all you do not "own your seats". You are essentially renting them for the flight. As a side note the OP works in HR and I am sure gets similar types of reports that happen at her work the employer can't grant unreasonable requests at work-American works the same way. They can give away or reassign seats at will just like you can play musical chairs. If I am seated away from my traveling companion then fine so be it. Yes I have low vision and get help to get situated in my seat and shown the nearest lavratory and emergency exits. Sometimes my Depth Perception is off due to the eye drops I use for my Corneal Transplant so getitng through long lines of security can be hard at times which is why I have Pre Check and Global Entry to help with my disability. No one said that having a disability is easy. I have Global Entry and Pre Check because it provides me the necessary accommodation whether I am flying alone or with a companion who has it.

I pay for services that help make my travel easier(note I never said having a disability is easy and does not cost you more). I don't expect a Porsche waiting for me at every gate to take me to the next gate. I just expect the basics that are entitled to me.

I request the Bulkhead Row by Seat Number and it just so happens that on some aircraft its in their Comfort+ or MCE seats and I offer to pay for it but am give it for no extra charge. If I am booted due to a passenger who needs my seat so be it. The airline did their best to accommodate me. I do not expect a First Class seat for Coach prices unless I paid or used miles for it.

What I am drawing here is I do not use my disability to get free upgrades. I am a member of Priority Pass and AMEX Platinum because accessing the lounge helps me to wait in a more confined area. Again I pay for this and to me its worth it. The lounge attendants help me to ensure that I get to my plane and they call for the Cart/Wheelchair Service.

I try to refuse the wheelchair service and just want an attendant to walk me to the lounge because I can walk and I want someone else who really needs it to have access to it but it comes and the wheelchair attendants are gracious and thank me. I tip where gratuities are appreciated.

My point is I do not use my disability to get me compensation where its not due. If I have to pay for better seats then I will. In this situation the OP was downgraded and that can happen but if the OP could not spend the flight not seated next to her husband then she could have opted to take another flight.

If it was so important for them to sit next to each other then why didn't they Preboard(if they did not) and ask the Flight Attendant and Red Coat Agent to help them secure seats together. Or see about downgrading two solo passengers from Business Class etc.

I advocate for my needs and get them met. Perhaps the OP was tired and could have been more firm.

Is AA obligated to compensate them for more than the difference in miles plus some bonus miles no. When the wheelchair was delayed on my AA flight they gave me 10,000 miles after giving feedback Did I expect it? No. I just wanted them to be aware that their third party vendor needs to have more employees.

Do I go up to the agent and say "Hey I have low vision get me first class for free now" No way. Wow I have seen some passengers get all angry because the gate agent could not help them. I find that honey goes a long way in dealing in the Customer Service industry. I have gotten better service because of respecting the poor gate agent who has hoards of complaints.

Booking the flight 9 months in advance you are not the only passenger that does this. Booking early or late for this matter does not guarantee you your seating assignments, that you will be on the same aircraft or if American will be flying the route 9 months or 9 days from today. So when you book you can't predict the weather or mechanical delays.

Just my 2 cents. OP and others can reply to this.

Last edited by danielonn; Mar 19, 2018 at 12:59 pm