FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IHG Credit Card Free Night - Combining
View Single Post
Old Mar 18, 2018, 8:27 pm
sdsearch
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GNRMatt
Hi, so I have my first free night for having the IHG Credit Card available to me now. I want to book a 3-night stay somewhere. When I log into the IHG website, I'm a bit confused on how to do this so that I have a single reservation for all 3 nights, with one night being free and me paying for the other two nights. How do I do this? I saw somewhere where it mentions making this two separate reservations, but I don't want to check out and then check back in to the hotel. I just want to stay in the same room for all 3 nights.

Any help would be appreciated!
First, make sure you are booking exactly the same type of room paid as you can get with the certificate. The certificate may work only on one room type at many hotels.

But once you determine that, book the second and third nights (paid) first, then immediately book the first night with the certificate, and in the notes for the first night's reservation explain that you have a second reservation that's paid (and provide that reservation number) and explain that you'd like to keep the same room. (Or, if you find no place to put the notes, call the hotel after you make both reservations and explain it to them, giving both reservation numbers.)

That' should help avoid them upgrading you separately for the two reservations (by someone who doesn't know they should stay as the same type of room) and putting you into different types of rooms, which might be hard to keep the same room if the hotel is booked up solid by the time you get there.

So that's why I suggest you somehow let the hotel know in advance (unless you're sure the hotel will be lightly booked even at check-in time).