FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - IC: SAMUI BAAN TALING NGAM RESORT -Thailand
Old Mar 18, 2018, 3:35 am
scubaccr

Programs: IHG RA (Spire), HH Diamond, MR Platinum, SQ Gold, KLM Gold, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by appledabble
Hello All.

I've booked a Club King Ocean View Terrace Suite with the BOGO cert. As a gold Ambassador, what would be a reasonable upgrade I could expect? Shall I book a lower category room in hope of few category upgrade? Are they generous in upgrading?

I also have intention to add a points-reward night on the 3rd day. Any advice on the best strategy to approach this if I want to keep the club benefits and I don't mind being moved to the basic rewards room. Would keeping the Club King Ocean View Terrace Suite and ask hotel to forgo my upgrade under the BOGO and in lieu provide the club benefit for the 3rd day a sound plan here?

Look forward to hearing your great advice Thank you
Maybe best choice is Amb to book club room on bogo, take 1cat Amb upgrade for paid nights (x2 bogo), hope 3rd base room on poiints gets same room on 3rd night and at checkin offer upsell $$'s for 1nights lounge access

Booking Club room as a 'plain (non-RA) Ambassador on a BOGO 2nighter is one of the best value uses of said bogo. Not only do you get 2nights club by paying for 1nights club, but the A,mbassador upgrade +1 cat above club is usually a suite.
(If you book non club on bogo, then any upsell pre-arrival/arrival means pay upsell $$'s for both nights of bogo stay, not just first night)
Alas booking a full suite then adding points night(s) is very likely to result in free nights being denied any chance at staying in either suite+1cat/upgrade or just suite (w/o upgrade) on points night.

Most hoped for result is you keep upgrade on 3rd award/points night is get the upgraded room without club access. Amb t+c's since Sep2016 state Amb's will not be given club lounge access , unlike pre-sep2016 when t+c just said not an Amb benefit

ymmv when emailing in early about dealing with 3rd points night, mostly you will likely get automatic stock revenue managers answer that you can keep upgraded room or non upgraded suite room (without club lounge) for AU$xxx or be switched on points night to booked room. This is especially true when Paid room is more than 1cat above free basic room, as is the case with your booking.

My recommended course for you is to wait until checkin, take a very probable foc 3rd night in upgraded room (or same room non upgrade in lie og base room on 3rd night) w/o associated lounge access and upsell to lounge access for third points night.

Last edited by scubaccr; Mar 18, 2018 at 3:44 am