FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Amex to cut interchange fees to increase acceptance
Old Mar 17, 2018, 4:48 pm
bradpetrik

Originally Posted by mikesyr18
I wonder how long it will take non-AMEX accepting merchants to start accepting the card. I couldn't imagine the current merchants really care, because everyone has a Visa or MasterCard, and they already take those cards to begin with.

Who knows, we might see the 6% Blue Cash turn into a 4% Blue Cash as a result of these fee changes, or perhaps AMEX may raise the annual fee instead because AMEX will pull in less revenue from purchases at merchants that already accept the card.

If AMEX is looking at major changes, they may want to look into their points and cash programs... A one statement lag and a $25 at a time redemption option isn't appealing at all. If it weren't for these limitation, myself, and many others may have a Blue Cash in their wallet.
Unless they're mandating the processors charge a lower rate as well I can see the processors keeping the same rate and taking the extra profit instead of passing savings on to their customers.

The BCP is already just above 4% when you consider the annual fee. And I agree with you - the frustrating process behind the CB from the BC cards is frustrating. I still use my BCP because I have it but I would seriously consider not even putting grocery and gas spend on it when my SPG gets me potentially more CPP.

Ultimately I'll likely end up only carrying Visas going forward once I decide I'm done playing the points game. Accepted everywhere, no hassles, and as much as people want to think American Express is easier to work with, they actually aren't.